Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I have a friend in the Ukraine that I would like to have come

I have a friend in the Ukraine that I would like to have come visit. I am a born and raised U.S. citizen and I met this person while working for the Gov't abroad. Can they come visit with just a passport like everybody else and how long can they stay?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Are you sure they are just going to come and visit? Is there a romantic connection or a possible romantic connection there? Do they have a fantastic life in their country that would almost guarantee that they would go back home?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Yes, It is just a two week visit. With a return ticket. Would that be a problem at customs?

Well, let me give you all the details. You can look at the link below for all the information that you need:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1262.html

Essentially, the person must have a valid reason for visiting, must have a way to support themselves without working illegally, must have significant ties to their home country, and must have the intent to return home.

A letter of invitation helps with some of this as it will help to show why the person is coming to the U.S., how much time they will need and that perhaps they will have a place to stay so they don't have to spend money. Usually you want to show that the person is going just for a few weeks or so. If it is longer than that, immigration will wonder why and will become suspicious. They are almost sure to deny someone that says they want to visit for 5 or 6 months unless they have very strong evidences of everything else I listed above. But keep in mind that a letter of invitation is a small part of the process and isn't even a requirement (people mistakenly believe it is the most important) and it can sometimes be used against the applicant. For example, if the consular officer believes that the applicant will have too much support meaning that they could stay illegally in the U.S. or if there is a romantic connection, the officer would deny the visa. Sometimes it is better to not even have a letter of invitation. The most important part of a case is to have strong ties to the home country.

So a letter of invitation should state why you are inviting them and that you will provide room and board while they are here visiting.

Now as to some of the ties, they will need to show that they have significant close family at home, property not easily sold, and a good job for a good company that they have had for awhile that a person would not normally abandon.

So if the person is young, without much money or any property, they could be denied. They would be a risk for staying illegal. Also, persons that are planning to travel with their spouse and children are a risk as well because some of their significant ties are actually going with them.

I mean some people have been approved with less, but I am trying to give you the idea for the best chance.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/ and make sure you type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Would proof of a return ticket on a plane that leaves in about a week suffice?

That would help to prove that she or he has made plans to go back. But that doesn't resolve what I stated was the most important thing and that is that she or he prove strong ties to their country to prove that they will go back. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.