Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

H1B picked for 2013 quota, having L1A & working on L1A since

H1B picked for 2013 quota, having L1A & working on L1A since more than a year.
I would like to re-enter USA from Mexico with new I-94 stamped in Oct' 2013 to over come H1B visa change of status?I would like to work with current employer on L1A only.
I am planning to travel by flight to Mexico for 3 days vacation and enter after Oct' 1st 2013? Would my I-94 be taken while flying to Mexico?

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

You are supposed to turn in the I-94 when you leave. You would get a new stamp when you enter the U.S. after October 1, 2013 and it would be an L-1A stamp which would override the H-1B status so you could continue on your L-1A status as before.

You would not get a new I-94, per se, because they no longer give them out as of earlier this year. You just get the stamp in your passport. They will keep that record for you.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. ,

Thank you so much for quick answer to my question.

I have been told that while traveling to Mexico/Canada chances of taking I-94 while leaving for vacation are very minimal. If in case my I-94 was not taken do I have a provision to drop this at USCIS drop box in any International Airport while leaving from USA?

You are welcome. As far as the I-94, they never take it. You are supposed to turn it in when you leave. You will not be getting a new I-94 because they do not give them out anymore. And stop reading things online. What you have read is in regards XXXXX XXXXX visas, not work visas. Here is an official link:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/i94_rollout.xml

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.,

I need to hand over my I-94 while exiting from USA to Flight Carier, if in case they do not take? and come to USA after my 3-4days of vacation at port of entry the Visa Officer would issue ( I mean - admission stamp will show the date of admission, class of admission, and the date that the traveler is admitted)???

Please suggest.

Regards,

Kumar

Yes because we are not talking about a B-2 tourist visa. We are talking about an L visa. The stamp will show everything needed. Please do not forget to rate me positively. Since I am not paid a salary, it is the only way that I get paid. You are not charged again and I will not abandon you after you rate me positively if you have additional questions. Thank you.