How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28672
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Permanent Resident for more than 3 years. My wife is

This answer was rated:

I am a Permanent Resident for more than 3 years. My wife is a student here. Can I sponsor her for green card and how long is the wait? We are from Romania and the Visa buletin shows CURENT. Thanks

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

There is NO wait if she files her I-485 with your I-130 before September 30th. She would get her EAD and permission to travel within 90-120 days. Your interview would be scheduled in approx. 6 months.

We are not sure if the visa numbers will retrogress in the future because there is no way to predict how many FB2A applications are being filed in Aug & Sept so time is of the essence.

Here is what you will need: Find instructions for each here:


I-130 Immigrant Petition (signed by US citizen spouse)


I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by alien)


I-765 Employment Authorization Application (signed by alien)


I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this
document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)


G-325A Biographic Sheet (one for alien and one for their spouse)




A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil
surgeon (find one here:


I-864 Affidavit of Support


Two passport sized photos of spouse


Six passport size photos of alien


Copy of alien's passport including all blank pages and I-94

Copy of US citizen birth certificate, natz cert or passport

Copy of spouse's birth certificate

Copy of any divorce decrees

Copy of marriage certificate


One check for the I-130 in the amount of $420

One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,070


packet get filed at the PO box on Page 6 of the instructions



You can read about the process at this site

Conditional Resident status is granted for 2 years. You and your
spouse have to file a joint petition to remove this conditional status within
90 days of the 2nd anniversary date of the adjustment approval.


Judith Ludwic and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions