Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
29360852

Hi I am a permanent resident and I have recently applied for

Hi I am a permanent resident and I have recently applied for my citizenship. My fiance is in Bangladesh and I want him to get here soon. I am currently living with my family but I am a stable full time job and can support him. Which is the best way for him to get here? Fiance visa or we should try for student visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question. The K-1 fiance visa is generally a much better option than a student visa if a person is eligible for both visas because it is more direct way for your fiance to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States.

The process is outlined briefly below:

Step 1) After you become a US citizen, you would file the 129-F with USCIS. USCIS.gov and click forms.
Step 2) After the petition is approved, your fiance would fill out the forms sent to him by the National Visa Center.
Step 3) Your fiance would be interviewed at the nearest US consulate
Step 4) Your fiance would enter the US.

Key Points to remember would be that you and your fiance would need to be married within 90 days of his arrival to the US and he would need to adjust status to a lawful permanent resident within those 90 days using Form I-485 or be required to return to her home country.

The eligibility criteria is fairly simple:
a) U.S. citizen spouse
b) Both parties are free to marry
c)genuine intent to marry upon arrival to the US
d)both parties must have met and seen each other in person within the
last two years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long does the process take?

The process for the K-1 fiance visa generally takes about seven months or so and the adjustment of status process generally takes about 10 months or so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So when he applies after getting married, what status will he be during the 10 month period. if he needs to apply for a job or school?

Your future husband would be in what is called a lawful period of status approved by the US Attorney. However, he would be eligible to apply for a work permit using USCIS form I-765 located at uscis.gov under forms which would allow him to work. The I-765 is generally processed in about three months or so.

He would also be eligible to attend school but it would depend upon the specific school's admission requirements.
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.