Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

Can I extend my tourist visa? My visa will be expiring September

Can I extend my tourist visa? My visa will be expiring September 2, 2013. I would like to stay longer in usa to help my friend take care of her child, because she is a single parent right now.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Yes, this is possible. You would have to file an I-539 which can be found here:

You would have to explain the following:

1) How much time do you need?

2) Why do you need you so much time?

3) Why you couldn't do what you needed to do during the time you have already spent in the U.S.?

4) How will you be supporting yourself for this additional time since you are not allowed to work?

5) What STRONG ties do you have to your home country to ensure that you will go back?

6) What preparations have you made to go back?

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!