Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My divorce has been filed in CA, but will not be final for

My divorce has been filed in CA, but will not be final for 5 months, and there's no way to expedite the process. I've been advised that uncontested Mexican annulment is the fastest and easiest way to ensure I can remarry as close to immediately as possible. My fiance is not a US citizen, so my main concern is that everything goes smoothly with USCIS. Does this advice seem legit?

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Will you establish residence in Mexico?

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told that residence would be established by proxy, and that this is standard practice in such cases.

Yes, any legal action taken in another country according to their laws and recognized by that country as legal and binding is recognized by the US. That means that USCIS would accept that order of annulment.

You may want to read another family expert on JA's answer to this question which had no immigration law issue

http://www.justanswer.com/law/3l9b9-mexican-annulment-legal-us.html

Since your annulment would be legal in Mexico the US would give it full faith and credit and recognize under international principals of law. Therefore, it is legal for purposes of your filing a petition with immigration.

Judith