Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

Who is the better person to petition a child born and living

Who is the better person to petition a child born and living in the Philippines? The mother is a permanent resident married to the step father a US citizen.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

If you married the parent of the step-child before she turned 18, you are the better choice. Even though at this point the Visa Bulletin is CURRENT for the F2A category which includes children of U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, there is no guarantee that this will remain like that. So the more stable petition would be an I-130 filed by you. Unfortunately, either one is still going to take about a year or so to process and there is no easy way to speed that up. If you want to try, here is a link:

And here is a link to the process for her:

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!