How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28732
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi There, Our neighbors Nanny who we know well and have

This answer was rated:

Hi There,

Our neighbor's Nanny who we know well and have used to babysit our children has asked us to sponsor her for 1 year while she goes to school (Affidavit of Support I-134). She says she has enough money to cover her first few months of expenses and that she school enrollment/tuition is in 3 month increments. She says that if she can't support herself, she will have enough money for her return ticket. We would love to sign this form for her, but do not want to take on any financial responsibility for her. We completely trust her as a person, but do not trust uncontrollable outside forces...for instance, if she's at a party and gets arrested for marijuana, or ends up in some sort of accident and is sued, etc etc. What would you advise?
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
Is she going to get a change of status to an student visa? I would assume that is the case. She is not allowed to work as a student off campus for more than 20 hours a week. That would include child care.
When you sign the affidavit of support you are entering into a contract with the US government to be responsible to repay the government for any meas tested benefits she might collect.
That means if she gets in an accident, she may use emergency medicaid but if she requires rehabilitation, and is put into a rehab facility in or out patient, you would be liable. If she collects food stamps or other assistance, you would be responsible.
It is not a matter of trust,, it is a matter of a financial obligation to the government.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Judith,


She says that she has health insurance, so perhaps that would cover rehabilitation in the event of an injury. What about a scenario where she gets in trouble and is given a public defender? Or a scenario where she is in an accident and is sued. Would we be liable? Thank you!!!

You are not required to reimburse for any civil liabilities.
Since a public defender is a means tested benefit you could be liable for that.
Just be sure to verify the health insurance.

Judith Ludwic and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you