Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I am an expert in the purchase of fabrics fo clothing companies.have

I am an expert in the purchase of fabrics fo clothing companies.have job offer in the USA for temporary work 6 months .i already have a work permit from previous USA employer expiry 2014. Can I use same? Cani get new? Who do I call to expedite ? Thks Lewis Mitchell .
Hi Lewis,

Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

On what basis was the employment authorization (commonly referred to as a work permit) issued in the first place? What is your current status in the US?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Work permit is a L1A. Canadian co I worked for was owned by us company. They also wanted me to work part of the time in the USA . I currently do not work for this company and reside in Canada . Canadian citizen. Ok
Lewis,

That is not considered a work permit. That is a L1 visa stamp and it allows you only to work with the company that sponsored you for the visa, or another company that petitions you for the status. But you cannot just use this visa to work with any company that you want to. That is a violation of immigration law and can cause serious problems for you in the future.

Now if you have another company that wants to sponsor you for L1 status, you don't need a new visa stamp to enter the US as long as the one you have remains valid; however your new employer must file a L1 petition the way the original employer did. Once approved, you can use the approval notice and the current, valid visa stamp to enter the US and work for the new company only. But you cannot just use this visa to enter the US and start working with any company.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With regard to expediting process which part of USA gov should I work through and which dept. .Origonal USA company went chapter 11 and no longer exists .
Hi Lewis,

Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy day.

The company has to file the petition with the USCIS. They can request the expedite process, although these are rarely given in cases other than a real emergency.

However the company can request review under premium processing, which should get a response within about 15 business days. There is a fee of $1225.

Thank you!