Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

My friend who has no legal immigration status received an application

My friend who has no legal immigration status received an application for eligibility for jury duty. It contains questions that ask about citizenship and residency.
How does he answer these questions?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your friend's situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

How does he answer these questions?

The answer is a "yes and no" issue. He essentially has two options:

1) Not respond at all. If this is done, then your friend risks a minor fine. Normally, the Court will send another letter, but if after two or three times there is no answer, the Court normally leaves the issue in bigger counties. In smaller counties, the authorities may pursue individuals who have not answered jury duty. Now, of course your friend would not be eligible anyways, but upon being questioned by the authorities, his status (or lack thereof) would come to light, so this is not the best scenario.

2) Answer, but leave those questions blank. Then show up. Upon being asked about them, the friend can merely state that his immigration status is in question at the moment, and by putting anything down, he may "compromise" himself, and that he is not a citizen. He cannot lie, as that would be contempt of court. But he can be vague, and hope that the Judge or clerk catches on and relieves him. Sure, not a great choice, either. However, the vast majority of Judges or clerks will then simply dismiss the potential juror. They have no interest in calling ICE, really. But there is always that 1% chance that they would, although very unlikely.

Ergo, your friend has these two choices. Neither are optimal, but the second seems better.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.