Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Hi, I am a Chinese student at University of Sydney and my

I am a Chinese student at University of Sydney and my boyfriend is an American citizen working in LA. I tried to apply for tourist to visit him for a short time but got refused twice. I really just want to visit him. Since I cannot get a visa, will a K 1 visa help? If we get married in the US, will it be ok for me to come back to Sydney to finish my education without him coming with me which means we will be in two different country. Meanwhile, I have a contract for going back to China for one year. Will I be able to work in China without him after marriage with a temporary green card? Thank you!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Why have they refused your visa? Did you tell them about your American boyfriend or did they find out about him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They said I don't have strong tie outside US. I told them my American boyfriend myself.

That was a mistake to tell them about your boyfriend. You see, because most people do not want to wait the 6 to 9 months that a K-1 or K-3 takes to process, they try to get a B-2 to get in quicker and this is not allowed. Now most likely you are never going to be able to get a B-2.

As far as the K-1, it will probably take 6 to 9 months, as I said and it is only good for one entry. What you can do is have him go to you, marry you there, and then you can apply for a K-3 that will allow you to travel over a 2 year period, if I am not mistaken. Here is a link to both of them:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

I am truly sorry, but at least you have those visas available to you. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After got refused twice, will I be able to get a B1 visa for attending conference in the US? I just got refused yesterday and I plan to apply for B1 in Sep. Is there a chance for me to get it?

There I chance, but not a very good chance. You would probably be denied. I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.