Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

USCIS Question: I sent in my application N-400, 2 weeks ago,

USCIS Question: I sent in my application N-400, 2 weeks ago, I am wondering how long it will take, or how long it usually takes to get a receipt number so that i can start checking on my case status online. Also I am trying to get a live representative on USCIS on phone but i can not seem to figure out what option I should select.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

As far as speaking with a USCIS customer service representative, the it really depends on what information you are seeking. For what reason are you trying to contact the USCIS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering how long it will take, or how long it usually takes to get a receipt number so that i can start checking on my case status online.

How long does it take to receive receipt number from them? what is the average wait time? Do you have any idea or experience. Can i call any number to find out...If they have received my app?

Thanks Abbey,

It usually takes anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks after submitting the application, before receiving the receipt notice.

The USCIS instructs applicants to contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center if it has been more than 30 days and you have not received a receipt.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.