Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Hi, first of all, Im an international student, so hope you

Customer Question

Hi, first of all, I'm an international student, so hope you can understand.
I am 20 years old, and currently being charged for shoplifting. I stole some clothes from 3 diffrent stores, Macy's, Victoria's secret and Nordstrom. I was caught from nordstrom.
There was an expensive coat, which is about $600. The total cost that I stole was about $900-$1000. There are 2 felonies and 1 misdemeanor. My court date is August 8th.
This is my first time and I won't do this agian.
I want ask you if there is a problem with my school or my visa. I talked with someone on the phone when I was in a jail (for about 12 hours). He said there is no problem with my school or my visa unless I do this thing again.
What should I do? I think I should get a lawyer or public defender..
I have a no idea about this situation.. please help me
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

If you are convicted of either felony, then you can be deported from the U.S. If you are only convicted of the misdemeanor, then you have to hope for a sentence of less than 6 months in jail because if the sentence is greater than 6 months in jail, then you could have greater issues.

You should hire an attorney to fight this case for you.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer but I still have no idea what to do..

The the other party said It won't affect my visa or school problem though..

I really hope that I would not be deproted.

What is the best way to do? Just hire a lawyer??

ps. sorry for my poor english

Forget about what the other party says. No one except yourself and an attorney that you hire (and myself, of course) care about your legal status in the U.S.

Do not worry about English. I wish I spoke more languages but I only speak Spanish and English.

The best thing to do would be to hire a criminal law attorney to make sure you are not convicted under a felony. It would normally be ok to be convicted under a misdemeanor with a sentence of less than 6 months in prison.

I do not think that you will have a problem negotiating the case down to a misdemeanor and you probably will get no jail time because it is your first offense. It costs the government money to prosecute someone and keep them in jail. So the government is not going to waste money on you if they do not have to.

You can look for an attorney at www.avvo.com or www.lawyers.com or www.ailalawyer.com.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.

Hello. I am following up with you again. Is there anything else that I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I was busy at that time. If you don't mind, can I ask you some questions later? like tomorrow or later..

Yes. You can rate me positively now and you can still ask questions later with no time limit as long as you do it here on this same thread responding to me here. Thank you!
Hello. It looks like you are seeing my responses but you are not responding. Are you having technical difficulties? I want to make sure that you are satisfied with my responses and have a positive experience with the website and with my service. So please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you because I will do my best. Thank you!