Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Hello: I have applied for asylum and waiting for interview,

Hello: I have applied for asylum and waiting for interview, it has been about 3 months now. My situation: I am on f-1 as of now, whose opt expired last week and am on 60 days grace period. My Question: If my application is referred to Court, can I attend School, even If I lose my f-1 status (60 days grace period). On what basis school will admit me? Please Help!
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

Yes, you can attend school while your case is pending. You would not technically have an F-1 student status, but the schools will take your money. They will just charge you the higher tuition and there isn't much you can do about that until you legalize in the future. But at least you can go to school. It just may cost you more to attend.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does this depend on school? like are there specific schools or I can apply to any school. Cost is not an Issue, but if you go to school won't your case be dropped from IJ? So, if I get a letter of intent to deny and if its been referred to IJ, I can still apply to school?

Most schools will take your money and they don't care about your legal status. So you will have many to choose from. And no, going to school is not going to damage the case before the IJ. Only if you left the U.S. would you basically be self-deporting. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much, one last question, it is just opinion though. I have applied for Asylum while in my OPT (from completing my BS) and right now I do have 45 days of grace period, so what if I do not get my Asylum interview in these 45 days, technically I will be out of status from f1, but my question is, Does it matter or affect any decision if I filled Asylum on my OPT but during my interview I lose my status. your help is much appreciated. Thank you so much again! Cheers!

They may not be able to refer your case to an immigration judge because technically you are out of status.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you are saying that I should remain in Status while the time of interview? And after that I can excuse my f1 and apply to college based on EAD if approved?

What I am saying is that they will not refer your case to an IJ until you are out of status.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much! So, in your expertise what do you suggest me, I should maintain f-1 status until my interview or I should be out of status so that they will refer my case to IJ? Please help! thank you.

I can never really recommend going out of status, but it is the only way to have your case referred to an IJ.