Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

My husband is co sponsoring my petition for my mother. My income

Customer Question

My husband is co sponsoring my petition for my mother. My income alone does not even make it to the 100% poverty rate. I'm unemployed and only getting paid through my VA education benefits and Compensation and Pension. Anyway, my question is when adding my husbands income, do I put the total income before or after deductions? Ie. taxes, social security, etc. or do I put his income with all the entitlements he's receiving without deduction. I want to make sure I'm filling out this I-864 right.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

You put his total gross income on your I-864.

That is the gross income shown on the W-2 before deductions.

He also has to sign the I-864a.

Judith

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His military earning statement does not say Gross income.I'm a little confuse on what to put.

I have a sample of the his pay stub but I could not upload it on here.
Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.
It is his total income, including all allowances before any deductions for tax, etc.

Judith
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh ok. I was able to copy the link.

http://www.dfas.mil/dms/dfas/militarymembers/pdf/Army_reading_your_LES.pdf

Also want to know, so with the total earnings do I divide that by 12 months from today or just for the end of this year. Which is December.
Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry, I don't understand that at all. I am not a financial person or accountant. I don't see any total earnings

You need to put down what his total earnings were ending 12/31/20013.
Would you like me to opt out for another expert who may be familar with military pay to help you>

Judith
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I meant to say multiply earlier. No need to transfer at all. Ok, so If I'm understanding correctly the income I put on I-864 is his entitlements before deductions. Total earning that starts January of this year and ends by 12/31/2013.
Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.

oops, now I made a mistake.

You put down his total earnings for 2012. that is the tax return you have to send with the I-864.

I'm understanding correctly the income I put on I-864 is his entitlements before deductions. Total earning that starts January of this year and ends by 12/31/2012

Yes, you understand correctly.

Judith

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So January 2012- December 2012 is the current individual income I have to put for my husband on I-864? So do you know why I am required to still provide a pay stub if they are going by last years income? His pay on his pay stub is far different from past year. Do I need to provide his old pay stub as well.

So in my case, If I worked for a few months in 2012, I would have to provide my income from last year as well? My income now has nothing to do with the current the I-864?
Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.

They want a current pay stub to show he still has a job.

You just provide his end of year earnings statement and tax return for 2012.

Yes, you include your income on the I-864 for 2012.

Judith

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. I think I'm understanding it now. Thank you very much for all your help. I very much appreciate it.
Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.
You are most welcome.
Judith