Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Hello I did apply for my OPT-Extension two months ago. Today,

Customer Question

Hello I did apply for my OPT-Extension two months ago. Today, I received a request for evidence of employment for the first 12-month period of OPT. Currently, I am employed in a position well related to my science major but before I got my current position, I had two jobs that are not related to my major study. I would like to know whether it could affect my opt-extension approval.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Yes, your OPT jobs are required to be in an area of your major field of study or you are out of status.

Is there any way at all to tie in the first two jobs to your major?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, the second one is able to be tied to my major.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
I understand the second job is related..
What exactly does the RFE ask for?

Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They asked for a request for the evidence of employment during the 12-month period of OPT.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Are they asking for a letter from the employers?

How long did you work in the area not related to your major?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I worked in that area for around 6 weeks and would the job affect the chances of the opt extension getting approved?

what else should i prepare to have the best outcomes?

Thank you!

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that job can make you out of status and ineligible for your STEM extension.

Since you are allowed up to 90 days of unemployment, just submit the evidence from your second employer and don't say anything or provide anything from the first one and they may think you were not working.

Judith