Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am currently here in the US on a J-1 visa for a residency

Customer Question

I am currently here in the US on a J-1 visa for a residency program. I am applying for a J-1 waiver through a VA job position, and must write a statement of reason. I do not want to say the wrong thing in my application. What would a statement of this nature look like - or what are the salient points I should highlight?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Basically, you will state that you came to the US eit the intention of returning to your country of last residence/nationality and that you have been given this opportunity to share your medical knowledge and skills to heal the men and women eligible for services through the Dept of VA.

Then you would go into what your specialty is and how it will benefit those who served the US and that despite not returning to your country, you will be giving those you treat the benefit of your US training.

The Director of the VA facility where you are being hired will provide the IGA letter going into detail about their efforts to fill the position and that you hold the qualifications they seek to be able to better treat those treated by the VA.

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How does this sound?

I originally came to the US with the intention of returning to Canada after my post-graduate medical education. I have been given this opportunity to share my medical knowledge and skills to heal the men and women eligible for services through the Department of Veterans Affairs. I am in the specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. My specialty serves a broad range of people – both those who have returned from war with any type of musculoskeletal injury (amputation, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury), and those who require inpatient rehabilitation after an acute illness/surgery/trauma. Although I have received my training, and graduated from a US residency program, my qualifications are not enough to pursue employment in Canada at this time based on their residency training requirements. I feel that despite not returning to Canada, there is a far greater amount of men and women who can benefit from my US training at the VA hospital.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

That is very good. The VA is the one seeking the waiver so your statement of reason can be brief and to the point as yours is.

But it brings to my mind a question about why you are not qualified in Canada?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My specialty (and many other specialties) requires 5 years of post-graduate medical education in my field. In the US this specialty only requires 4 years of post grad education. Therefore I am forced to obtain a 1 year ACGME accredited fellowship. This will allow me to be eligible to sit for the required tests in Canada......then be supervised for another year in Canada....many many hoops.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks you for the explanation.

I edited this just a bit

my qualifications do not meet the certification exam requirements and prevent me from pursuing (are not enough to pursue) employment in Canada at this time based on their residency training requirements.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
I see you requested me and asked a follow-up question that did not address your special circumstances as a J1 doc with VA waiver. Those general requests only stay open for 10 minutes.
If you would like me to give you an answer that relates to your special circumstances you may begin your question with "FOR JUDITH". I believe I am the only JA expert with extensive J1 waiver experience.

Judith