Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

my uncle was deported from japan years ago. he is currently

my uncle was deported from japan years ago. he is currently in the US applying for an adjustment of status... he had checked NO on his paper that he has never been deported and no he is worried. Should he resubmit the paper and put down that was was deported from Japan
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

Good news! The question on his adjustment application is in reference to whether he was ever deported from the US, not from Japan or anything else. So as it pertains to that question, he did the right thing. If he was never deported or removed from the US, then this is not a problem.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you but this is how it is stated on the form....-"Have you been arrested, imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance in or outside the US"

And the other question was ..."-has your relative ever been under immigration proceedings, where and when"

Jojo,

QUESTION: Thank you but this is how it is stated on the form....-"Have you been arrested, imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance in or outside the US"
ANSWER: Sorry for the confusion. I was not aware you were referring to a criminal record or criminal history, since your question didn't ask about criminal histories. You asked about deportation from Japan. What you are referring to here is not about deportation from other countries, but about criminal histories.

Now if the deportation from Japan was related to a criminal issue, then he needs to provide this information about the criminal offenses. I had no indication that this was the case. If he answered no to this question and he has a criminal history, he needs to withdraw the application and refile it with the correct information.

QUESTION: And the other question was ..."-has your relative ever been under immigration proceedings, where and when"

ANSWER: This question refers to US immigration proceedings, not Japan. The questions on US immigration forms seek information about to US immigration history, unless otherwise requested or stated. So where the criminal questions above ask for information related to issues "outside the US," this second question you refer to does not, and therefore it is only seeking US immigration related information.

I'm sorry if that was not clear the first time. Please remember that I am an US immigration attorney. I am very familiar with the forms and what the questions refer to. I've petitioned and applied on behalf of hundreds of clients, and thus know very well what information these documents seek.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he was deported because he over stayed, and he's visa expired... in other words he was an illegal immigrant. ( is that a criminal act).

Jojo,

That is not a criminal act in the US. I don't know about Japan, since I am only an US immigration Expert. I doubt very seriously that this is a criminal offense, but that is something you're going to have to find out. This is the US immigration section, so I am prohibited from discussing other topics, such as Japan's criminal laws. Again, I doubt seriously that it is a criminal offense. It certainly is not the type of offense that would cause him issues with US immigration, however.

So again, as to your original question, his answering "NO" to immigration proceedings was correct, in that it refers only to those that are related to US immigration.

Thank you!