Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

Hello there I have a quick question to ask. I received a letter

Hello there I have a quick question to ask.
I received a letter from USCIS stating that my application I-485 is currently pending adjudication. We regret that we are unable to provide you with a completion date for your I-485. We apologize for the delay.
I would really like to know cause I'm begging to worry, my application has been filed from January 6th 2012, went to the interview April 26 and was asked to submit more info before the deadline July 25 2012. Been calling checking upon the case from ever since. Received mails informing that the case is out of normal processing time and that additional review has to be done on the case. Now we received two different mails on two different notice informing us that their records show that my cases is currently pending adjudication. Should I be worried or is this a sign that my cases is progressing.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

On what basis are you eligible for adjustment? Family? Employment?

Why did you have to go back for more interviews? Was one of them a Stokes Interview, where they separated you from the sponsor? At what service center is this being reviewed? You can find this out by looking at the notice number on your receipt notice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Family

I only went on one interview which was April 26th 2012. We had everything checked off the only thing we had to submit was to show that we had joint assets. They gave us a deadline which was July 25th 2012 in which everything was submit by the 13th.
All this being done at U.S department Of homeland security
1455 NW Overton Street, Portland OR 97209
Shanta,

Is your name a common name from your country of origin? Who petitioned for you? Is this person a US citizen? Have you or anyone else contacted your congressmen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest I do not know if it is a common name in Jamaica. Personally not a lot of people goes by that name there so I would probably say no.
My husband petitioned for me and yes he is a U.S Citizen, he and I both have been calling. We recently wrote and mail them a letter also
Who is them? Your congressmen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Them as in the people at USCIS, I'm not familiar with a congressman. Sorry
Can you please look at the receipt notice and tell me the first three letters of the case number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MSC
Hi Shunta,

Thanks for your continued patience.

Unfortunately, I don't have great news to share, but some of the information I'm providing you should prove helpful. Please note that I'll always do my best to help you come up with a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good solution for ever possible scenario. Unfortunately, I cannot change that. I am only here as an information source, so please do not hold bad news against me by giving me a negative rating.

I know this is extraordinarily frustrating to deal with, but sometimes, backlogs have no good reason. And sometimes, backlogs are caused by a delay in background checks. In this case, there does not seem to be clear indication of the reason for the delays, once you provided the information that was requested of you. So now you need to try other options for getting action on your application.

The first thing I would do is call the National Customer Service hotline, which I'm sure you've done previously. You might consider telling the agent that you are missing your Receipt Notice number, and that you'd like to be connected to someone who can provide it to you. You should ether be transferred or given an option to wait to receive a call back. When you finally speak with one of those higher ups, ask them for the receipt notice number. Then tell him/her that while they are providing you with the number, you'd like to know the status of the case. They should be able to provide you with the most up to date information available on your case.

Also, check out this link, for option on contacting agencies to try and get things moving along: http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/contact-uscis-fbi.php

I mentioned the congressional inquiry, as this seems to work for some people. It does not speed up a background check with the FBI, but it can get you some answers as to what is causing the delays. My gut is that the delays are begin caused by background check backlogs, but I cannot be sure. The congressional inquiry requires that you contact your US house representative and your state senators to have them inquire as to the hold up in your case. They are not required to do so, but often make inquiries on behalf of constituents.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.