Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My nurse is leaving Accra Ghana 6th Aug to UK. Say they want

My nurse is leaving Accra Ghana 6th Aug to UK. Say they want Basic Travel allowance (BTA) of £3,000 for she can leave,is this correct ?
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

NO! That is not correct. There is no such thing as a Basic Travel Allowance to be able to travel out of Ghana. This is part of a scam, where the person claims to be from Ghana, claims to need a visa and requests money for it, then when they are supposedly about to "leave" Ghana, they are stopped and forced to show a Basic Travel Allowance of cash on hand to be allowed on the plane to travel. I hear about one of these scams at least once a week.

If you really want to make sure it is a scam, call the embassy in Ghana directly, and ask them to confirm if a Basic Travel Allowance is required. Do no ask this "nurse" for the contact information to the embassy. She or he will give you a fake number where you will reach some random person who will ":confirm" the Basic Travel Allowance.

Here is information on the scam of the Basic Travel Allowance, provided by the Immigration Service of Ghana: http://www.ghanaimmigration.org/NOTICE.htm

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, SEND ANY MONEY TO THIS PERSON.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!