Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

I was just wondering if the new immigration reform bill will

Customer Question

I was just wondering if the new immigration reform bill will likely give a work visa to foreign nationals that want to work in homes and will allow international students to work legally in the U.S. Do you think those things will happen soon in the future?

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 12 months ago.
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
The draft provisions do have an unskilled visa category for household workers, restaurant and contrruction workers.
You will be able to work legally in these job categories and the permission will not be tied to one sigle employer. You would essentially be a free agent able to fine you own good employer who will not take advantae of you.
Judiht
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Could you quote please what that unskilled workers visa category says please and does it apply to those that are immigrants and not legal residents of the US ?
Expert:  Judith replied 12 months ago.
W Nonimmigrant Workers
The legislation creates a new category of nonimmigrant workers who come to perform work in
the U.S. in occupations that require little to medium on-the-job training. The visas have a term
of three years, and are renewable for three years. Employers seeking these workers must
participate in a national registry, where jobs are listed and certified. Overseeing the system will
be a new Bureau of Immigration and Labor Market Research, which will be housed at U.S.
Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The annual number of visas allocated will start
off at 20,000 for the first year, and rise to 75,000 in the fourth year, after which the new Bureau
will determine the annual number of W visas to be allocated. Visas will not be issued for jobs in
areas where the unemployment rate is greater than 8.5 percent, though there are exceptions.
Special caps apply for construction industries. W applicants would register with an embassy or
consulate for a registered job to apply for a visa. Once in the United States, a visa holder may
leave his or her job and begin work for another employer in a job that is in the registry. The W
workers and employers would be kept track of via a system similar to the one used currently to
keep track of foreign students in the United States.
http://www.immigrationforum.org/images/uploads/2013/S_744_Summary.pdf
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When should the new immigration bill pass

both the House and the Senate? Will it then

allow foreigners to work legally as domestic

workers in homes,hotels and restaurants and

will the employers who hire these workers be

required to use the E-Verify system that some convenient stores are using?

Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.
Will it then

YES

YES

As for when it will pass, not til fall now b/c Congress is going on their summer break.

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much for the information. I have
a friend who is 31,is Mexican and she would

like to work for an american company however she

is interested in the sales field. Will the law allow

sales associates in retail stores to work legally

under this law,do the employees have to speak

English and how long will it take those that qualify

to get a Social Security card and the work permit?

Another thing,how can home employers use the E-Verify system with their employees?

Will also international students be allowed to work

with the new law?

Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.

Will the law allow sales associates in retail stores to work legally
under this law,

Unlikely, those are not traditional shortage occupations.

do the employees have to speak

English

Historically temporary workers have not had any language skill requirement

and how long will it take those that qualify

Most likely the same amount of time it takes for other temporary work visas - approx. 3 months processing time. Then they would immediately be eligible to apply for their SSN

The home owner applies for a Employer tax Identification Number and then registers with E=Verify online like all employers

with the new law?

No because they hold F1 status and cannot hold dual W status at the same time.

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How can the foreigners know who can hire them

under this law? Ads or will there be a list of people

that can hire them? Can foreigners of all ages from

all over the world work under that law?There will

be more people coming to the US.

Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.

under this law?

The same way foreigners find jobs here in the US now. Actually, the same way we all find jobs now, friends, family, ads, etc

Ads or will there be a list of people

that can hire them?

There won't be any lists.

Can foreigners of all ages from

be more people coming to the US.

The regulations when the law is passed will be written by USCIS and the eligibility criteria will be in those.

There is a limit of 45,000 per year. That could change before the law is passed.

Judith

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Will all employers who hire domestic workers

be required to use the E-Verify system? I am

asking this because some people in the U.S.

don't have computers at home nor do they know

how to use one (especially the elderly).

Expert:  Judith replied 11 months ago.

Very interesting point! However, you would need to contact your senator's office and give them this input!

So far that is what the senate version says and the House has not drafted their bill because they went on vacation so you should contact your Rep in the House, as well.

Here is the link to contact info

http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

Judith