Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

dear we are refugees (a couple with childe) with i94 paper

Customer Question

dear
we are refugees (a couple with childe) with i94 paper and waiting for a green card .we have a low income and we don't get any help from the goverment even don't have a health care.we don't even go to the hospital becouse we are affraid of the payment so how can we get this kind of help please.
thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
Did you come here through a refugee settlement program? They were supposed to set you up with housing assistance, health care and other social services.
Where are you in NY?''Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your responde

yes we came here through that and we had also all this help now we are working all the help stops but the income that we have is not enough to pay bills and everything even not enough to buy good food

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand it is very expensive to live here in the US, that is why there is so many working poor just like you.
People come to America thinking it is the land of riches and it is not. It is a very difficult and hard life here unless you have an education. It usually takes at least 2 generations to get out of poverty.
I can only suggest you contact Catholic Charities and ask them if you can participate in their food bank to help you get food.

Judith
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
I'll tell you a story about my family. My grandparents came here as refugees of WWII. They had nothing. My grandfather worked in the coal mines and my grandmother cleaned houses.
They had 4 families living in one small apartment. That was the only way they could live and each family had 2 -3 children. It was crowed but they did it and the when my parents finished high school they moved out and got a better labor job. They saved for their own home and had 3 children. I am the only one of the 3 children to have gone to college and law school and I worked my way through that because my parents could not afford to send me to school.
So not all American families are rich and have a good life. Many struggle just like you are to make it better for their children.
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah i know its difficult but even health care is not possible is that normal?and another thing,we are married in our country but we don't have a proof of that becouse its difficult to get it from there so my question is can i ask help as single mother ?

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Om America it is normal not to have health care! Maybe in October you can qualify to buy Obmacare. My brother and sister-in-law have no health care. Many of my friends have none.
No you are married and all your official records show you are married. You cannot get help based on being a single mother. that is fraud.

Judith
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

It is really sad that because you are angry at the system in the US who cannot give you everything you want, that you will take it out on me who has no power to fix the US.
There are millions of Americans who have lived here their entire life and who have young children and old parents who have no health care and cannot afford to go to the doctor.
I'm not sure why you thought that if you came as refugees to America that you would have a comfortable life with the government paying for your housing, food, and health insurance when you are able to now work. Most Americans are treated no differently than you and they do not get any benefits. It is not bad service because the system of government will not take care of you.
It is me trying to share with you what you face like everyone else who lives here. Maybe you can find another country where you can go and be taken care of. You do not have to stay here and life might be better for you somewhere else??
But why is it bad service to tell you the truth? I want to give feel good answers, but in some situations, the feel good is being able to be in a country where there are no bombs and bullets flying, where you have the freedom to tell me I gave you bad service! These are the things that living in America give you and that we appreciate having. Freedom to walk down the street without waiting for an explosion.
May I ask what you expect from an expert at JA?
Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

I feel real bad for you that you are having such a difficult time here in the US. It is shameful that this country does not provide medical care to it's residents. Most other countries all have free health care, Canada, Sweden, UK, Germany, France, almost all countries other than the US. This is something that should have been told to you by the Refugee placement program. You might have been able to make a more knowledgeable choice.

I want to help you. Let me know if any of the information I researched for you helped.

I did do some research for you to see if there is any free medical clinic there in NYC.
I have come up with some free medical resources available to you for you to check out. They say it is open to everyone
Here are the links
http://nycfreeclinic.med.nyu.edu/information-for-patients/who-is-eligible

http://www.institute2000.org/health-care/services/free-clinics-for-the-uninsured/

http://brokelyn.com/no-insurance-guide-to-brooklyn-healthcare/

If you are not in NYC, here is a link that lists all the low cost clinics in the State of NY and you pay based on your ability
http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf?_function=list&state=ny

America is a good country with good people in many ways. But I understand your pain and frustration at not being able to get the care you need when you are sick and in pain, or when you have to listen to your children cry because they are hurting.
I am frustrated, too, that i cannot make things better for you. That is what we try hard at JA to do. You are a valuable customer and that is why I went back to do more research to try to find some free or low cost clinic that can give you the medical care you need. I apologize if I was frustrated yesterday with the American lack of health care.
Please let me know if this helps.

Judith