Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Dear Attorney,, Hope you are having a nice weekend. My parents

Dear Attorney,,
Hope you are having a nice weekend.
My parents came to US on visitor visa in November 2012, then I applied their GC (as US Citizen) and they got GC on July 10. They plan to visit India. I have following questions to plan their India visit so that they don't face any issues when returning to US after India visit (as GC is given with intent to stay in US).
1. Can I know, approximately how long they should stay in US before visiting India?
2. Whats maximum stay (months) they should have in India?
Thanks
Kumar

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

They should not have any trips longer than 180 days and they should not have any multiple trips in any 12 month period that add up to more than 180 days. So in other words, going out for 5 months, coming back for a few weeks and then leaving again for 5 more months is not going to work.

IF they need to stay out longer than that, then they will need to apply for a Re-Entry Permit before leaving the U.S. It can be done on form I-131 which can be found at www.uscis.gov/forms.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks attorney.

My parents would like to go for only 3 months. They got their GC on July 10. After how many months, do you think, they can leave US for India visit of 3 months, so that they don't face any issues on return?

They can leave immediately after they get their green cards. No worries about that. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.