Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of criminal litigation experience.

Can getting a speeding ticket jeopardize your permanent residency

Can getting a speeding ticket jeopardize your permanent residency at time of renewal?

USCIS can consider anything that would show a lack of moral character. Only one speeding ticket should not jeopardize your chances. Of course, if you can get a lawyer who can get the charge reduced or dismissed, that would be good "insurance."
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe there is an option where I can take a driver safety course and have it dismissed. It upsets me that it was on the interstate 240 miles from home, early in the morning, sunglasses on, visor down and sun in my eyes. It was obvious they are "used" to nabbing people there. After driving for 45 years with no speeding tickets in the last 20 years it is kind of a thorn in my side....thanks.

Hi Shelly,

Yes, I am sure that it's frustrating. I've been where you are. In fact, I would probably say that nearly everybody has. But it's not something that should ruin your life.

Good luck to you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much.

You're very welcome!!