Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

I imported a pet dog from Canada to California. Why did the

I imported a pet dog from Canada to California. Why did the custom inspector say I could not ever import another dog? He also asked why I didn't just get a dog from the pound which I thought was strange.

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

I think he was just trying to scare you for some reason since I do not see any regulation that states that you can only import one pet. Perhaps they are a pet lover that has a special place in their heart for pets that need a home in the U.S. Who knows? If you want to file a complaint, here is a link:

And here is a link to more information about the CBP regulations:

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!