Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

My nephew was born in Scotland. He is married to an American

Customer Question

My nephew was born in Scotland. He is married to an American and they have a two year old son. They want to move to America and he wants to start a small business. His wife will get a job as a professor at a local university. In his 20's he had a criminal record. He is 38 now. Will there be a problem getting a business viasa
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

What was the conviction for? And what was the sentence?
Do not worry about responding. I will not ask for private information, but in order to help, I really need for you to respond and let me know what the conviction was for, where it happened and what the sentence was. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The conviction was for drugs and petty larcency. There was no sentence.

This was 14 years ago

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I still need to know where the conviction happened. Was it Scotland? Also, now that I know it is drug related, was it simple possession or was there any buying, selling or transporting? And what was the drug and what was the amount? Believe me, I would not be asking these questions if it didn't matter. U.S. immigration law is very complicated. I will await your response. Thank you so much.

Are you looking up that information for me? It is very important because he would have certain options if it was a U.S. conviction and certain options if it was a conviction outside of the U.S. Thank you.