Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Hi there Can I change my F1 Visa to F2? and what details

Hi there

Can I change my F1 Visa to F2? and what details do they need? and How long does it take?
bear in mind, my wife has got F1 and she still studying and we came to USA last month.

Thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

As long as you are currently in F-1 status when you file the F-2, then yes, you can change status from F-1 to F-2. You cannot quit school until you first file the I-539. After it is filed, that's when you can quit school.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok but what details or paper do they need?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

could you answer me please?

but what details or paper do they need?

You will need to show that you were currently in status as an F-1 at the time that you filed the I-539. And of course you will need to prove that you are married to the F-1 spouse and that she is currently in F-1 status. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

could you give me the link or website of I-539 to fill in?

Of course! Here is the link:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=94d12c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Don't worry, your question does not close just because you rate me positively even though it says your question closes. It does not. I will not abandon you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks a lot

last question

Do you know how long It takes to change it to F-2?

Never say last question. You can always have more depending on my answer. But do not worry, there are no limits. It could take around 3 months or so maybe up to 6 months or so.
Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.