Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

hello my student visa was cancelled because i didnt know my

hello my student visa was cancelled because i didnt know my sevis/i-20 was not activated so they had to send me back home can i reapply for another student visa ?

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

How long have you been out of status?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if out of status mean how long its been canceled then only 2 days but the immigration officer told me thats its not a really big deal i can reapply and get a new visa cuz he gave me the choice to withdrawal and i took it should i believe him ?

But where was this visa cancelled? Are you sure it was the visa and not the status? And what was the reason for the cancellation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the visa was cancelled in new york by an immigration officer and i dont think he told me anything about any status and he know i have to start school in august so he told me when i get back i should apply for a new visa asap and the reason for the cancellation is my sevis/i-20 was deactivated without me knowing and the officer told me if i dont have a valid sevis/i-20 then im not allowed in the country

So then this was at the Port of Entry? And he did let you in to the U.S., correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes but i was in his office for about 7hours asking me quetions and waiting for my flight and then i was escorted by 2 immigration officer to my flight

So then he did not let you enter the U.S.? It seems like maybe he ordered you excluded which has a 5 year penalty. Does that sound about right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no he told me if i withdrawal i wont have a 5 yrs penalty and he said i can get a new visa right away

Ok. That is very good, actually! You got very lucky. So yes, you can apply for a new student visa. Work with your Designated School Office (DSO) to get a new activated I-20 and new F-1 student visa. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!