Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

***Question***** My Iranian friend is here on a J-1 visa.

My Iranian friend is here on a J-1 visa. He is flying back to Iran this week (on 7/31). He would like to return to the US in December. Prior to his return, will he have to go a US Embassy/Consulate to get a *new visa stamp* in his passport? Or can he use his current J-1 visa "as is" and return to the US? (I am concerned about the date of "07-31-2013" at the bottom of his visa).

(Since Iran does not have a US Embassy, it is a major (financial) inconvenience for him to go to a US Embassy in a country bordering Iran. In that case, he said he would probably not return to the US)

Background info:
His J-1 visa expires 2/1/2015. His university just extended his Certificate of Eligibility for this visa from 1/15/2013 to 7/31/2014. (The original Certificate of Eligibility was from 1/15/2013 to 7/31/2013.)

INFO typed on his J-1 Visa
Date of issue 1/4/2013; expires 2/1/2015
Bearer is not subject to section 212 (6) two year residency rule does not apply
01-15-2013 / 07-31-2013

Fred Springer
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for two things: 1) Before you sign off, please remember to rate me positively as that is the only way that I am paid and your question does not close after you rate me so I can still answer additional questions without additional charge if you have follow-ups even weeks or months later; and, 2) IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger. When you rate me, it is my service to you that you rate, not whether the news is good or bad. I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.

I do have some good news for you. Since the visa validity date has not expired AND his certificate had been extended to 7/31/2014, he will be ok to re-enter the U.S. as long as he does it before 07/31/2014. What he can do after he enters the U.S. again is contact a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Mexico or Canada, explain his situation that there is no U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Iran, and ask if they will stamp his passport with a new visa. Of course, he would have to have a program extension passed 02/01/2015, but he can cross that bridge when he gets there. If he is just concerned about coming back soon, then he should have no problem.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!