How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28487
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, I am currently hold green card and want to marry my girlfriend

This answer was rated:

hi, I am currently hold green card and want to marry my girlfriend living in us, she is foreigner and have F1 Student visa, what do you think if I marry her, I could keep her to stay in USA with me ? can i change her status ? and can she have immigration visa ?
what I could do to help her stay with me in US ?

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

If you get married and file for her adjustment of status in the month of August she can stay here and get a work permit and permission to travel because the category for spouse of a permanent resident is current.

There is no way to predict if this status will be current in September again or in the future. So if you want to do this you need to act now.

Here is what you will need: Find instructions for each here:


I-130 Immigrant Petition (signed by US citizen spouse)


I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by alien)


I-765 Employment Authorization Application (signed by alien)


I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this
document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)


G-325A Biographic Sheet (one for alien and one for their spouse)




A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil
surgeon (find one here:


I-864 Affidavit of Support


Two passport sized photos of spouse


Six passport size photos of alien


Copy of alien's passport including all blank pages and I-94

Copy of US citizen birth certificate, natz cert or passport

Copy of spouse's birth certificate

Copy of any divorce decrees

Copy of marriage certificate


One check for the I-130 in the amount of $420

One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,070


packet get filed at the PO box on Page 6 of the instructions



You can read about the process at this site

Conditional Resident status is granted for 2 years. You and your
spouse have to file a joint petition to remove this conditional status within
90 days of the 2nd anniversary date of the adjustment approval.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are right ma'am but I have only green card, I am not US Citizen, Can I file for her and keep her stay in US after Marriage ?

I understand you are just a permanent resident. There was good news this month that beginning August 1st, the category of family based 2A is CURRENT.

There is no wait for a priority date if you file in the month of August!!!!



Look at the Visa Bulletin for August. It says "C"..

Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hello. I am just checking it to inquire if my answer was helpful.
Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism appreciate your positive rating. If I can answer anything further, please just ask. I have 34 years experience and there probably isn't much I cannot answer for you competently.

Related Immigration Law Questions