Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I got married last year and had my green card interview 3 weeks

Customer Question

I got married last year and had my green card interview 3 weeks ago . my case is still pending I haven't received any response yet ... my wife just confessed that she is pregnant by another man what should I do ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
How do you think the interview went?
What does your wife want to do?'
How do you feel about this?

Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The interview went well EVen thought the officer was skeptical since I'm an Arab ..the interview took 55 minutes and he said I ll be getting the response within 20 days... 2) I feel so bad ,frustrated and despondent I can't sleep 3) she said that she doesn't care do whatever you want
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest you hang in there until you get a decision on the immigration case and the you and she discuss where the marriage will go from there.
If you leave now you end up with nothing, so since the harm is done, you may as well see if you are approved and then you and she can decide where you go with your lives.
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thx one more question lets say I ll get the approval within days can I divorce her afterwards? She cheated on me I can't take it
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest you speak with a local immigration lawyer before you file for divorce. You are going to have to file to remove the conditions in 2 years and you want to make sure you set everything up correctly and have it in place to request a waiver of the joint filing.
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ll take your suggestion to hang in until I get a decision on my case..getting divorce after getting the conditional green card would be in favor of myself right?

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Correct.

Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

during the interview the officer asked around 40 questions we answered 36 of them correctly he then took off my I-94 from my passport , 4 photos and asked me the YES/NO question do u think its a good sign.?

how long would it take to receive a response? I mean normally

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
There is no timeline. I have no way to predict. If he is scheduled for vacation, if he gets sick, if the supervisor has to sign off, there are too many unpredictibles.

Yes, it looks like it is going to be a positive decision based on taking the photos, I-94 and going through the entire application.
Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want her to put her kid under my name if so it will be considered a fraud
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
That is a family law issue, not immigration law. You need to talk to a divorce lawyer about that.
Judith