Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
29360852

HI, I am the Petitioner for a case type I-130 for my stepson

HI, I am the Petitioner for a case type I-130 for my stepson from the UK- England. Priority date is November 1, 2012. The Beneficiary was 20 when the petition was approved, but now is 21. I have paid for the AOS fee $88 and the IV fee $230. WHat are the next steps and roughly how much longer before I can get my stepson here from England?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. You are the final stages of the process. All that is left at this point based upon your question is the completion of the DS-230 along with the I-864 Affidavit of Support if the application has not already been completed.

Your step-son would complete the DS-230 immigrant visa application, have an interview, and if approved, he would enter the US as a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Although your step-son has turned twenty-one, it is very likely that he would still be eligible under the Child Status Protection Act. As for an exact time frame, it is difficult to estimate within this forum but it is very likely that an immigrant visa appointment will be scheduled within the next thirty days.

The Child Status Protection Formula is below for your reference:

1.Child's Date of birth:
2.Receipt Date of Petition Filed:
3.Date the Form I-130 was approved:
4.Length of time the Form I-130 was pending:
5.Date the petition became current (by looking at the Department of State Visa Bulletin):
6.Date the visa became available (later of #3 or #5):
7.Age of daughter on date visa became available: (#6 minus #1)=
8.Age of daughter for CSPA purposes ( age at time visa became available minus length of time petition was pending (#7 minus #4):

In any event, it is probably time to retain an immigration professional to ensure a smooth transition for your step-son.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so the NVC has been notified of me being his agent. WIll I need to be there for his interview once he has been given a date? Is it safe to presume that it will take place in London or here in the states?

No, the petitioner is not generally required for a beneficiary interview but you can contact the US Embassy if you are interested in attending.

Yes, the interview will take place abroad and the immigrant visa will most likely be issued at this time so that your stepson will have the necessary visa to enter the United States.
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you very much. If I have other general questions, will you always be the one to answer? Or may I request you?

You are very welcome. You may request me to answer your question in the Subject Line when you submit your question.