Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Hi, I had applied for a COS from H4 to F1 in Dec 2012. It

I had applied for a COS from H4 to F1 in Dec 2012. It is still stuck in initial review status for past 6 months. We also opened a service request and they mentioned background check. Meanwhile, a company filed by H1b in 2014 and it was just approved. Now i want to know the steps to withdraw my I539 Application for my COS to F1 status. Steps need to be taken would be very helplful.

Thanks
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response
: You need to send a written request to the Service Center processing your application, preferably by either Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested or by Express Mail for record keeping purposes. If you do not know the exact address of the Service Center, you can call 1-800-375-5283 to obtain this address.

This is just a simple request for the Center to withdraw your application—that you no longer wish to change your status. The subject line of your request should have your full name, your DOB, your file number.

Your application fee would not be refunded to you for the withdrawn application.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the responce. Couple of follow up questions:

1) Initial I-539 application was sent to Texas and then they forwarded it to California Center. Which one do i send my written request to withdraw the application?

2) Is it easier/faster to do an infopass and personally have them enter the withdrawal request in the system? is this possible or does one have to mail the letter 1st? I have heard many times even after request they have approved the COS status.?

3) In the reason for the withdrawal, do i mention about my future H1B status and attach the approval notice as well?

Thanks

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when you replied:

Thanks for the responsce. Couple of follow up questions:

Response 2: California

Response 2: You need to mail the letter first. Then, you can use InfoPass to check on the status. Bring a copy of the withdrawal notice to your InfoPass appointment.

Response 3: No. It is not necessary. The less information you give, the better.