Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I applied for a I-765 application for a work permit and was

I applied for a I-765 application for a work permit and was denied. But I worked regardless. Does this mean that I have a 10 year ban now that I have been deported?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Business Imm Law :

Did you go before an immigration judge who ordered you deported?

Business Imm Law :

Hello,my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Yes, when I was underage we went before a judge who denied our case.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
How old were you when the order of deportation was entered? Were you 18 years old and 180 days had lapsed since your 18th birthday?

Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was 16 years old when the order of deportation came in. But I was told by someone that my application for a work permit is what is causing my 10 year ban. But I wanted to know if applying for a work permit, being denied, and still working gives you a ban. I didn't know if this was true. If it doesn't, then that means my ban is because of the 2003 deportation date. In which case, I would move to argue that.

I am also out of the united states at the moment. I left before the 180 days of 2009, when I was picked up by ICE, but released.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
From what I understand you were ordered deported when you were 16.
Working unlawfully is not what kicks in teh 10 year bar. The deportation is what kicks in the bar. But if you left the US before you were 18.5 years old then the bar would not apply to you, even if you were ordered deported and worked illegally.
Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could I ask one last question. I'm also applying for the I-601 because of this ban I have. Would you recommend that my husband's letter for extreme hardships be short and sweet? He has written 5 pages, but I'm not sure if this is too much for immigration.

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
No, NOT short and sweet.
The more hardship that is laid out the stronger the case.
Also look at this link, you want to lay out a higher level of hardship and get documentation from doctors, etc, to support it
http://www.ilw.com/articles/2007,0717-scott.shtm

judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks so much for all your help, Judith. I really needed clarification on whether or not being denied a work permit and working anyway would be grounds for a 10 year ban. I will keep you on file for any further questions I may have.