Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

We missed our USCIS I-751 biometrics appointment, and it is

We missed our USCIS I-751 biometrics appointment, and it is now 3 months later. We thought we had completed it and were waiting on response until we saw this letter. What can we do now?
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

What does the letter say, exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To process your application, the US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) must capture your biometrics. PLEASE APPEAR AT THE BELOW APPLICATION SUPPORT CENTER AT THE DATE AND TIME SPECIFIED. IF YOU FAIL TO APPEAR AS SCHEDULED, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED ABANDONED.

That is the content of the letter you received? You didn't get anything that told you that you missed the appointment and what to do now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, there was no other letter or email that said what to do since we missed it.

OK, thanks for the information and clarification.

What you should do now is go to the local USCIS office and take a walk-in appointment for biometrics. Generally, it is a very easy process. Take the original notice, and explain to them what happened. S/he likely will just do the appointment right then and there.

Alternatively, you can make an InfoPass appointment to speak with an officer and set up the biometrics appointment. You can make an appointment by going here: infopass.uscis.gov.

Long story short, this should not be an issue.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any idea if we are better off saying that we did not get the appointment notice letter in the mail and asking them to reschedule? Has anyone had any luck with that before since it then wouldn't be our fault.

If a person does not receive a notice, it is a basis for the USCIS to overlook a failure to act as initially required. However I cannot instruct or advise or recommend doing so, as I could lose my license to practice law by making such a suggestion.

Thank you!