Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

My mother in law was visiting us for 3 months, arrived to JFK

My mother in law was visiting us for 3 months, arrived to JFK today, However her passport expires July 18th, she did not know and in the airport, she was given a status to expire on the 17th.. We need her to stay with us till Sept 1st, ( we are 2 doctors needing some serious help with our 3 children till Sept) .. Is there any way we can extend this stay without having any immigration consequences in the future? Our consulate here can give us a passport extension for one year in the same day.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

What she can do is get the passport extension, then file an I-539 as soon as she can and include a copy of her passport extension and request the extension of her stay. Here is a link to the form:

She can stay while the I-539 is pending even after July 18th. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!