Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

any help on my situation will be appreciated -> my mother

any help on my situation will be appreciated

-> my mother had b1/b2 visitor visa and she traveled to US several times from 2001 - 2004 for university programs and seminars etc etc...on her last visit in 2004 she overstayed and applied for H1 through a software consultant...h1b approved till 2007 ..she got her SSN & DL ...she worked on h1b for 1-2 months and started her own business(beauty salon) in 2004 itself...she sold the business in 2010 and decided to return back to india...

->my mother applied for visitor visa again in 2011 india , she did not fill in SSN and Drivers License information in visa application ...she did not mention her change of status to h1b in her visa application... during the interview visa officer asked regarding change of status and told her that she might need a waiver and asked her to send all the h1 documents...after sending all the documents to the consulate in india...we received a response after 6 months .. visa was denied 212(a)(6)(c)(i) - misrepresentation and 214(b)...she had clean criminal/driving records in the US...no EWI nothing...

->i am in the US since 2007...recently got my h1b approved (change of status from F1 in 2012) ...my elder sister is a US citizen... my father and younger sister are in india hold 10yrs valid multiple entry visitor visa

->i would like to know if my sister can apply for a i601 waiver for my mother...
-> sister does not work here in the US, can i being on H1b be a co-sponsor (i have tax returns and above poverty income...)??
->in regards XXXXX XXXXX sister has some medical conditions that needs some one close from family to be with her...is this enough??
->what are the chances of i601 approval? ?
->any lawyers in chicago area with good i601 waiver experience??
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using this service to find answers to your questions. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you. I only ask that you rate me positively when we are finished. Keep in mind that the law sometimes does not have a good solution to your issue, but I will do my best to find one for you. Also, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

Is your sister intending to sponsor your mother for an immigrant visa to help her become a permanent resident?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes , we would like her to become a permanent resident

Hi there,

Thanks for the additional information. I'll take your questions, one-by-one. Please keep in mind that sometimes, the law does not provide a good solution to your questions; so no matter how much I would like to change it, I cannot.

QUESTION 1: would like to know if my sister can apply for a i601 waiver for my mother...
ANSWER: Your sister does not file the I-601 for your mother. Your sister only is involved in this to the extent that she file the I-130 petition for her mother, and continues with the sponsorship of the immigrant visa. The I-601 belongs to your mother, and only she can apply for the waiver, based on the extreme hardship of a US citizen or permanent resident who is an immediate relative of your mother.

QUESTION 2: In regards XXXXX XXXXX sister has some medical conditions that needs some one close from family to be with her...is this enough??
ANSWER: It certainly is helpful, but I cannot make a judgment as to whether or not it is enough. It depends on how much help and assistance she needs, and how much she currently is getting, the type of hardship she faces with this medical condition if her mother is not here, etc. That is something she needs to discuss with an attorney who knows all of the facts; this is not really the appropriate forum through which a judgment should be made as to the usefulness of this reason.

QUESTION 3: What are the chances of i601 approval?
ANSWER: Each case is reviewed on a case by case basis, and determinations are made when considering the totality of the circumstances, including the severity of the hardship, how much help the alien can be in alleviating the hardship if she were allowed to enter, how egregious the offense that caused the inadmissibility, etc. So it is very hard to say what the chances of success are in each case, without knowing and seeing the entirety of the situation. I can say that these are not very easy to get approval, but approvals do happen in large number of cases.

Here is some great information on the I-601 process, including information on the hardship requirement: http://www.scottimmigration.net/content/i601memo.

QUESTION 4: Any lawyers in chicago area with good i601 waiver experience?
ANSWER: We are not allowed to recommend attorneys or to take on customers as clients ourselves. But the best way to find a good, reputable attorney is to go through the professional association for immigration attorneys, AILA. Here you can find attorneys in the areas you want: www.ailalawyer.com. These attorney's credentials and disciplinary histories are checked by AILA, so you should be able to find someone who can help you in this situation.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you're satisfied my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. If you require more information, simply ask instead of giving a bottom two rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for pros who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

extending question 1:

is my mother eligible for a waiver in the first place? she was rejected under 212(a)(6)(c)(i) - misrepresentation and 214(b)

What are the timelines for the process beginning from application to approval and my mother to be here at earliest if everything is approved.

Question 5: Not answered initially
My sister does not work here in the US, can i being on H1b be a co-sponsor (i have tax returns and above poverty income...)??

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. After I answered your question, I logged out of the system temporarily. My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

QUESTION: Is my mother eligible for a waiver in the first place? she was rejected under 212(a)(6)(c)(i) - misrepresentation and 214(b)

ANSWER: Yes.

As for 214(b), it does not result in a ban from the US. So the I-601 has nothing to do with this.

Fraud and misrepresentation is a completely different issue. With this finding, she is inadmissible to the US. So she needs to get form I-601 approved. Yes, she is eligible for I-601.

QUESTION: What are the timelines for the process beginning from application to approval and my mother to be here at earliest if everything is approved.
ANSWER: I would be prepared to wait at least 1 year.

QUESTION: My sister does not work here in the US, can i being on H1b be a co-sponsor (i have tax returns and above poverty income...)??

ANSWER: You cannot be a joint sponsor. One of the eligibility requirements is that a sponsor must be either an American citizen or a lawful permanent resident.

My apologies for that not addressing this earlier. I was trying to get the formatting right and it looks like I accidentally deleted that question. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Thank you!

Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.