Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

i lost my certificate of citizenship immigration tells me is

i lost my certificate of citizenship immigration tells me is going to take up to a year to get a new one, i need to travel to mexico for about a week but how can i get back to the us some people told me that i can use my drivers licence and place of employment id at the border when coming back how true is that? or will i get in trouble?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you. I only ask that once you've received your answers, you rate me positively based on the customer service I provide you, and not the outcome, for which the law sometimes does not have a good solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

So you never got a passport after you became a US citizen?

How are you traveling to and from Mexico?

Who are the "some people" to whom you are referring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. i have never travel until now that i need to go to a special graduation of some kids that i have been sponsoring with their education they are graduating and have asked me to be there god mother on july 4 and 5 and by some people i meant family and friends that have done it and i dont know how true is that . i just dont want to risk myself getting into trouble.

Gabriela,

How will you be traveling? By air or land?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i went to ask a travel agency and they said i could take an airplane from tijuana to guanajuato but dont i need to show documents to be able to do that? and what worries me is my return .

Gabriela,

I understand the concerns, and I'm going to address them; but I want to make sure I have all of the information I need to give you the best answer possible. So please be patient as I do so.

Also note that I am only giving you information about the law as it currently stands. I don't write the law and I cannot change the law. Often times, the law does to provide a satisfactory outcome, no matter how much we want it to. So please keep this in mind when giving a rating for my customer service - sometimes, there just isn't anything that the law allows for the situation you describe.

Unfortunately, the law changed a few years ago. If you leave the US, you cannot simply use your driver's license to re-enter the US. If you are traveling by air, and returning by air, then you need t have an actual passport book. And if you are traveling my land or by sea and re-entering the US by land or sea, then you can use a passport book or a passport card or an enhanced driver's license. The problem is that in each of these cases, you have to show that you are a US citizen,and without the certificate of citizenship, you won't be able to do so.

I'm very sorry. I wish I had better news to share, but as I mentioned earlier, there are cases where the law does not provide a satisfactory solution to every case. It appears your is one of those cases.

Note that I have never experienced a situation where it has taken a year to get a new certificate of citizenship; but unfortunately, there is no way to get one by the time you need to travel.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please reserve your rating for the very end of our conversation. If at that time you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for pros who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i do have a copy of my certificate will that do along with my drivers licence ?cause my return will be by land.

Gabriela,

Unfortunately, that will not work. As I mentioned previously, you will need either a passport booklet or passport card, or an enhanced driver's license, to travel by land or by sea. A copy of the certificate of citizenship and a non-enhanced driver's license will not be sufficient for return.

Again, I'm very sorry. But the law is very clear about the requirements, as much as I wish I could give you other options.

Thank you!
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.