Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
29360852

I have a friend whose visa has expired a couple of years ago.

I have a friend whose visa has expired a couple of years ago. What would her course of action be to get properly documented?
What type of visa did your friend have previously?

Is she currently married to a US citizen or does she have a U.S. citizen child over the age of 21 years old?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, she has neither!

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately without an immediate relative US citizen petitioner, your friend does not currently have a mechanism or immigration procedure that would allow her to gain lawful status in the United States.

At this time, Congress is currently debating an immigration reform bill that will hopefully be out to a vote before the end of this year so it is very likely that any type of reform bill that passes will have an procedure for your friend but this procedure is not currently in place.

To that extent, it would probably be a good idea for you to follow the path and retain an immigration attorney on behalf of your friend if immigration reform passes into law in the near future.