How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 107989
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My student visa is going to expire on August 18th 2013

This answer was rated:


My student visa is going to expire on August 18th 2013 and my STEM OPT is valid till 2015. I was wondering if I can get my F1 visa extension. Also, Can I go to Canada for extension stamping (My home country is India). If yes, I'm planning on going to Canada around July 18th 2013 with 1 month of valid visa remaining. In that case, can I get visa extension before it actually gets expired? Will there be any issues if in case my visa extension gets denied and if I want to return to US with the original visa which should technically be valid for 30 more days.

Thank you,

Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

You cannot renew your visa or extend is from inside the U.S. It may be possible to get what you need in Canada. But take a look at this OFFICIAL link that should answer all your questions:


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I already went through that link before contacting justanswer. I'm looking for a more detailed answer.

Ok, and I am more than happy to clarify things for you, so tell me, what exactly do you need more detail on that the official link does not help you resolve?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me if I can get work authorization when I'm on H4 (H1-B dependent) visa.


I know this question may be completely different but please answer this to me

Unfortunately, there is no way that you can get any work authorization while on H-4 status. That is clearly stated in the law and one of the downsides for a spouse or child of an H-1B principle. Let me know what other questions you have and I'll be happy to answer them for you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions