Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

In order to qualify for adjustment of status under 245i, does

In order to qualify for adjustment of status under 245i, does the petition filed on your behalf before 04/30/2001, have to be approved? Are you still protected if the petition filed on your behalf before 04/30/2001, is denied?
Hello. Unfortunately, the answer is MAYBE. Why? Because the law says that the petition had to be approveable when it was filed. So it depends. Was the denial something that would have been denied anyway if it was processed on the same day? Or was the denial something that only happened because something changed later? So for example, if the petition was an I-140 through an employer, for example, and it can be proven that at the time of filing the company was in good financial shape, everything was ok, etc. but then a year or two later the restaurant went out of business and because of that the I-140 was denied, then you could still use that I-140 because at the time of filing everything was ok. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.