Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Hi Judith: I was assembling the packet to send to USCIS and

Hi Judith:
I was assembling the packet to send to USCIS and came across this on a website for people preparing their own paperwork:

Note: Evidence of a bona fide Marriage
The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bona fide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as:
1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or
2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or
3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financialresources; or
4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or
5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or
6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

So I guess an original copy of the marriage license isn't sufficient? I can obtain affidavits from friends who have attended the wedding. How many would I need? Shall we open a joint bank account?
Don
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
This has always been on the documentation list but you can supplement the I-130 with this at the interview.
Yes, open a joint account, you need to establish this anyway, send two affidavits and if you have any pictures, make copies of those and send.
Do you have a lease?

judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a lease, maybe I can see if I can put my wife on it...

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Oh, yes, you absolutely need to do that.
Judith
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hi Don,
just want to make sure you got my last answer.
judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Judith:

Thanks for following up, I've been so busy at work I couldn't check for your response until now. I've done the following:

1. Had Landlord put Mirna's name on Lease

2. Opened a joint checking account

3. Obtained 4 affidavits from people who attended wedding and who can vouch that we are married

4. Made copies of wedding photos with the Pastor who married us

Is there anything else you would recommend?

thanks,

Don

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
That should do it for now.
To prepare for the interview, add her name to utilities, if possible, health insurance, car registration and insurance, any thing else that comes in your name alone that you might be able to add her name to.
Have a great weekend.
Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.