How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11215
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to apply for a J1 visa, in order to visit an

This answer was rated:

I am planning to apply for a J1 visa, in order to visit an american lab, this summer (early August). This visit is part of a scientific research collaboration.

I have a B1/B2 visa to the US (expiring in few years). If I apply for a J1 visa, does my B1/B2 remain valid, so I can use it later for other trips to the US?

Thanks for your help

Houda Bouamor
Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

Yes, absolutely. The B1/B2 visitor visa will not be affected by your application for the J-1 visa. They are issued and used for different purposes, so on one entry, if your purpose is a J-1 purpose, then you can use the J-1. And if the purpose is a visitor purpose, then you would use the B1/B2 visa to enter the US. With that in mind, the Department of State will not cancel one for the other, since the purpose of your travel can change with each entry.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions