Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.

Hi I have recently come back from the states after my f-1 reinstatement

Hi I have recently come back from the states after my f-1 reinstatement was deemed abandoned. I have stayed in the usa less than 180 days, but had to stay about 100 days or so due to me needing surgery on my knee. I have all the medical documents required, my question is, would I need them when I am applying for a new f-1 to explain that my overstay was not for just wanting to stay or work?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

Yes. The overstay, even though it was less than 180 days, was an overstay, and therefore could be the basis for denial of the new F-1. Remember that the 180 days threshold is relevant for how long you could be considered inadmissible to the US; but any amount of overstay could lead to denial of a visa or admission to the US.

A medical condition could be helpful in helping you overcome a previous overstay, so having the documentation to support your claim that you had a medical condition would be very important in your quest for a new F-1.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your help! I know that there is a chance I may be denied, but I just wanted to make sure if the medical documents would help my case for a new F-1.