Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

Hi there, I have a question regarding re-entry permit.

Hi there,

I have a question regarding re-entry permit.
Can I apply for re entry permit straight after I receive my 10 year green card?

I am planning to enter USA after my 2 year marriage anniversary in August. Once I receive my IR1 stamp and a 10 year visa, I would like to go to Bali. I would stay in Bali/indonesia for 4 months to take photographs and meditate... prolonged holidays.

I would appreciate your advise.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

QUESTION: Can I apply for re entry permit straight after I receive my 10 year green card?
ANSWER: Yes. You can apply for a Re-Entry Permit at any point that you are a permanent resident, even if it just after you got the green card.

But if you only are going to be in Bali for 4 months, then you don't have to have a Re-Entry Permit at all. That is usually used only for those people who plan to be outside of the US for 1 year or more.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate it.

All the info on the web is very confusing.

I have a couple more questions regarding my re entry permit. Would you be able to answer them or do I have to pay again. The questions are:

Can I put holidays/ Asia trip as the reason I require my re entry permit? I do not have a job or educational course in Bali. Will it be treated as a valid reason to request re entry permit. I may go to India after Bali if my savings allow me to do so. So I may be outside USA for longer than 4 months

I also have a few questions regarding my move to USA. I was wondering if you offer packages? So I do not need to pay seperately for every answer. Thank you Kind Regards Aleksandra

Aleksandra,

QUESTION: I have a couple more questions regarding my re entry permit. Would you be able to answer them or do I have to pay again.

ANSWER: I they are related to the first question, then you can ask them here without paying again. But if they are unrelated, new questions, then you should present them as new questions. You can request me specifically, by writing Longhorn Lawyer at the beginning of the question. Or you can ask the new questions, and then rate my service for that new question and pay for the new question.

QUESTION: Can I put holidays/ Asia trip as the reason I require my re entry permit? I do not have a job or educational course in Bali. Will it be treated as a valid reason to request re entry permit. I may go to India after Bali if my savings allow me to do so. So I may be outside USA for longer than 4 months
ANSWER: Yes, you can put this as a reason.

QUESTION: I also have a few questions regarding my move to USA. I was wondering if you offer packages? So I do not need to pay separately for every answer.

ANSWER: You can request a subscription service. That is something you might want to check with customer service about. As far as answering those questions about your move, I can do that, but request that you ask them in a new question, which will require you to submit a new deposit. Remember that I only get credit for helping you (and thus paid) when you rate me positively, for the customer service I provide you. And like most people, I prefer not to work for free.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. I will subscribe and ask you more questions this week. Thank you for your help. I will be more than happy to rate your service as excellent. Thank you Aleksandra