Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

My husband is a Jamaican Citizen, but has been in US since

My husband is a Jamaican Citizen, but has been in US since 1981 with a green card. I unfortunately let his passport expire, and have applied for a renewal, however, it is taking a very long time to get the new one. We have planned and paid for a trip to Jamaica to leave US June 22 for just one week. Can he travel out of US and back into US on his green card alone, or is the passport required?
Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

Does he still have his old passport?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, sent that with all the other material April 5 to Miami consulate.

Ok. I have good news for you. All he needs is his green card to enter the U.S. Take a look at this official link:

So he should be perfectly fine coming back to the U.S. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, that is good news, but still not clear about getting through immigration at Jamaican airport.

Well, that's why I asked if he had his old passport. I can only tell you about coming back into the U.S. The part about Jamaica letting him in I cannot answer for you. Maybe if he has his birth certificate with him, that will help him get through faster.