Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Applied for H1b extension based on Approved I-140 Petition,

Customer Question

Applied for H1b extension based on Approved I-140 Petition, Got extension today just for One year, Not sure if the USCIS file officer can do this or its an error by ignorance.

I got an RFE and replied back to that RFE, Got the approval but just one year. so I spent so much of money( USCIS $2300, attorney fees, Premium processing fee) and just getting it for one year is digestible to me.

questions : 1) Can they do without being questioned about 2) Is this an error by ignorance 3) Can I ask them to reconsider the extension period by filing something, If so what is the procedure in doing so and how much will you charge.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

You paid attorney fees. Have you contacted your attorney about this? What do they say? It could have been the attorney's mistake in filling out the paperwork as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I paid a one time fee, before I need to talk to him n get this cleared out, I would like to know my options. I am doing my homework to respond to his answers.

Ok. If the attorney determines that it was the fault of USCIS, they can file an I-290B and have the decision reconsidered and explain that the extension date is incorrect. If it turns out that it was the attorney's fault (you may need to ask them to give you copies of the LCA and I-129 that they filed), then they should file a new extension for free and pay the fees for you when the time comes. I do believe it is a mistake, but an extension could be given for less than 3 years. Often it has to do with what is listed in the I-129 and/or LCA. So maybe a mistake was made there. Either way, the maximum you could have gotten was 3 years, but it is possible to get less. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your statements are contradicting,

Statement1: If the attorney determines that it was the fault of USCIS, they can file an I-290B

Statement 2: Either way, the maximum you could have gotten was 3 years, but it is possible to get less.

Asume that attorney did not make a mistake I-129/LCA and you are saying it is possible to get less time duration so where does the fault of USCIS fall in..

I apologize for the confusion. It is possible to get less than 3 years, but until you see copies of what the attorney did and the attorney reviews the file, it is hard to tell what happened. If USCIS did not make a mistake and they wanted to give you less than 3 years, then you will have to apply for another extension when the time comes. It isn't common that they give less than three years, but they can. It could be an internal policy change, for example. But until your attorney reviews your file, it is difficult to tell what happened. But like I said, if an error was made, an I-290B could be filed. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In my initial request, I asked- Can I request USCIS to reconsider their extension period decision (assuming no mistake done by attorney/USCIS) and if so, how

And I responded. The I-290B can be filed as a motion to reconsider. It's still going to cost you some money, I'm afraid.
Sorry that you rated my service as poor. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you to help you be more satisfied with my service. Thank you.
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
I am a different expert.
I have a different answer.
The Neufeld Memorandum instructs adjudicators to extend the I-129 for 3 years if there is an approved I-140 and the LCA is approved for 3 years. It is not discretionary. It is direct policy instruction.
There are a few ways to have the approval period corrected by USCIS.
The lawyer can contact a 2nd tier supervisor through the 800 Customer Service # and bring the error to the attention of the Service and ask for a correction. He will get a case number. If they do not make the correction within 30 days the lawyer can use the AILA (American Immigration Lawyer's Association) Service Center Liaison and ask for them to take it up with the USCIS contact for correction. This will cost you nothing, it is part of what AILA members pay for in their dues.
Your lawyer can send a letter to the Service Center Director and request a correction, and this will also generate a case number..
The other option is to use the I-290B but your lawyer will ask for a refund of the I-290B filing fee because it was USCIS error. USCIS will refund the filing fee and it will not cost you in the long run.
I am sure your lawyer is an AILA member and that is the better option of all since it is a direct line to the product line manager to have problems fixed.

Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What if my attorney made a mistake by putting in one year period only in the 129/LCA . Is there a way to correct it......

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Let's hope he didn't because he got what he asked for and there is no error. If there is no error the only way to get additional time is to file a new petition extension.
He cannot ask for USCIS to fix his error.
Was the I-140 approved BEFORE the I-129 was filed?
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes ! Little history behind to clear your answer.

July 2010 - H1b approved - valid upt 7/15/2013

Nov 2010 - Labour Approved

Feb 2011 - I-140 Approved

June 2013 - H1b extension request

July 2013 - got approved for one year only - that too I did it in Premium Processing and those huge USCIS fees, attorney fees )

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Then clearly your attorney should have asked for 3 years with an LCA valid for 3 years.

So tomorrow you will begin your inquiry with the attorney. You are armed with options to ask hin to pursue if it was USCIS error.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just asked him and added points from your reply, he got mad at me, below is his response,

nafees, stick to doing your I.T. work and do not interpret uscis laws/policies. You can "request" 3 year extension but it is unto them of how long they want to approve it. I've seen quota cases get approved for 3 months

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
WOW. Very Interesting. Are you sure the LCA and petition asked for 3 years? There may be a reason he is so defensive. There is nothing wrong with being a proactive client.
It does not seem like your attorney is willing to fight for you.
You are entitled to the 3 years and at the least he should approach the USCIS through the customer service line and then ask AILA to make a liaison request.
But who makes another fee in a year??? Not me! LOL I have no horse in this race.
Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I approach the USCIS over the phone by giving in the right information about the petitioner and plantiff, ?

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
No, you cannot call. It is not your petition - it is the employer's. Only the employer or the lawyer can contact USCIS.
And you need to know what the lawyer had on the I-129 and LCA.

Judith