Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.

I been in the USA for more than five years and I want to apply

I been in the USA for more than five years and I want to apply for citizenship the problem is that 4 years ago I applied for my first job in the USA during the interview they asked me if I was a USA citizen and I said yes, back then I didn't speak English very well and I thought a citizen was person who live in city. 1 week ago I went to the employment office in the place I work and I told them I made a mistake during the interview so they fixed the problem and now I appear as a resident in their system and I get to keep my job. My question is will I have any problem in becoming a USA citizen can I get deported will I lose my green card.
Generally speaking, a false claim of citizenship has an intentional prong which means that an innocent mistake such as you mentioned that has been corrected may allow for you to become a US citizen. Further, for purposes of deportation, the US government would need to prove by clear and convincing evidence, a very high standard, that you intentionally made a false claim so deportation is a very unlikely scenario.

However, any claim of US citizenship whether mistaken or otherwise is an area of concern with respect to the N-400 application. To that extent, you would probably be well served retaining an immigration attorney to draft an explanation of this claim of US citIzenship to be included with your application as a precaution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My green card will expire 02/27/2014 will I have any trouble renewing my green card because of the mistake I made.

It is not likely that a person would have difficulty renewing his or her green card because the green card application does not have contain any questions about "false claims of citizenship".