Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I want to bring my

I want to bring my Indonesian girlfriend to America. What's the easiest way to get her visa? Don XXXX

Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy way. There are essentially three ways to bring her:

1) The K-1 fiancee visa takes 6 to 9 months, but you must have met before during the last two years in order to process it. The I-129F will cost $340 plus a $350 fee for the visa processing fee. After she enters the U.S., then you have to marry and then you have to pay $1070 for the I-485 and she will have to wait about 5 to 7 months and gets another interview that you attend with her so that she can get Residency.

2) The K-3 spouse visa takes 6 to 9 months, you must be married. The I-129F will cost $340 plus $420 for the I-130, and $350 for the visa processing fee. Then after she enters the U.S., you must still file the I-485 for $1070 and wait for the marriage interview about 5 to 7 months later.

3) The CR-1 visa (or IR-1 if your marriage is more than 2 years old) takes about 1 year or so. You must be married. The fees are $420 for the I-130, $330 for the visa processing fee, $88 for an Affidavit of Support fee. But once she enters the U.S., she enters as a Resident and she does not have to file (or pay for) an I-485 nor does she have to attend an additional interview. She just gets her green card in the mail a few weeks later.

So the K-1 and K-3 are faster but generally more expensive. The CR-1 (and IR-1) are slower, but generally cheaper. And no, there is no middle-visa that she can use to enter the U.S. while that process is pending. She will most likely have to wait outside.

Here is a link to all three:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sir,
I had looked into the fiancé visa a little and it mentioned needing a verified engagement. Do you know how I go about getting verification? I think that is my best option.
Thanks for the advice.
Don
They aren't looking for any specific legal document. They are looking for proof of a real relationship and that you have met before. So you can submit evidence of the trips that you have taken to see her or trips that she has taken to see you. Plane tickets, boarding passes, pictures where you are together, pictures where you are together with family, hotel receipts, maybe (not required, but looks good) wedding invitations, signed and maybe notarized letters from friends that are witnesses to the relationship and details why they think it is a real relationship, and maybe receipts for things that you have paid for/reserved in regards XXXXX XXXXX wedding. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sir,
We are meeting in Thailand for 10 days in November. So I collect all info from previous trip to see her and proof of this trip olong with other documents as you noted. Then I need to pay $340 for the I-129f. If I submit that and verification of engagement and processing fees of $350 then is it automatic within 6-9 months ,or is she required to go in for another interview with still a chance of rejection?
Thanks ,
Don
Pretty much only time some benefit is automatic in U.S. immigration law is when one is claiming U.S. Citizenship through a U.S. Citizen parent. Almost everything else is not automatic and without guarantee. If you submit everything correctly, she should get an interview within 6 to 9 months, probably closed to 9 months. And yes, there is still a chance of rejection, unfortunately. This is why it is important to provide strong evidence that the relationship is real and not just for her to get a green card. Keep in mind that the evidence has to come from both. Often the U.S. Citizen is in love, but the foreign person may not be and may just want to come to the U.S. Please do not forget to rate me positively. Since I am not paid a salary, it is the only way that I get paid. You are not charged again and I will not abandon you after you rate me positively if you have additional questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sir,
Am I able to attend the Visa interview with her? Be able to lend her moral support and help present everything?
Thanks
You can fly down there, but unfortunately, there is no guarantee that they will let you in to the interview. It is up to the officer. If you are there and she asks that you be let in and the officer says no, it still lends weight to the relationship at least from your side, that the relationship is real.