Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration

Can I quit my TN

Customer Question

Can I quit my TN visa job to get married to my boyfriend and then file for an AOS immediately? Or will I be in violation of immigration law since I am technically out of status when i quit my job in order to get married and carry out permanent resident application process.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I answered your original question in this regard. I was trying to get you a refund of this 2nd question since it seems to be the same one. Do you still want help in regards XXXXX XXXXX question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I am new to the site and was unware that only one expert would be assiting me.

Ok. You are looking for a 2nd opinion? It's ok if you are. Just let me know and I will Opt Out and another expert will assist you when one logs on. If not, then let me know and I will put in for a refund of this 2nd question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no you are fine. I do not want to opt out. a refund would also be great for the second question. Do i get charged for each question?

Also is there a difference If i were to get married while still on my tn visa status? versus not being in status?

I will refund this one for you. As far as if you are charged for each new set of questions, I believe that you are unless you signed up for the subcription. I don't know if you did that or not. And stop overworrying. It doesn't matter if you marry while in status or out of status.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not worried about getting married while in status or out of status really...I am more worried about doing the paper work for filing for the adjustment of status ....if then and there if it will ask what was my "original" intent status of first entering the United States, prior to marriage.

But thank you for all of your help.

You are welcome. As long as you have been in the U.S. longer than 60 days before getting married, your intent is not an issue. I'll put in for that refund on this second set. Thank you.